Loading articles...

Ontario confirms 634 new cases of coronavirus, 54 more deaths

Last Updated Apr 23, 2020 at 4:13 pm EDT

This undated electron microscope image made available by the U.S. National Institutes of Health in February 2020 shows the virus that causes COVID-19. The novel coronavirus was engineered in a lab using HIV. Stem cells are a potent weapon against the new pandemic. People with blood type A are more susceptible to COVID-19. None of these "discoveries" have been proven. But all have been widely disseminated. They're examples of what many scientists are beginning to fear has happened to the traditional safeguards against bad science under the pressing need for answers to the wave of sickness sweeping the globe. THE CANADIAN PRESS/NIAID-RML via AP

 

Ontario reported 634 new cases of COVID-19 and 54 more deaths on Thursday, as it extended emergency orders to continue the closure of parks, non-essential workplaces and restaurants for another two weeks.

The latest data reported by public health officials Thursday represents the largest single day increase in cases, bringing the total number in the province to 12,879 _ a 5.2 per cent increase over Wednesday.

The total includes 713 deaths and 6,680 cases that have been resolved.

As the province announced the new numbers, Premier Doug Ford extended a series of emergency orders issued last month until May 6 and urged people to continue to stay home.

“We are making steady progress in our battle against this deadly virus, but we are not out of the woods by a long shot,” Ford said in a statement. “It is absolutely necessary to extend these emergency orders to continue keeping all Ontarians safe and healthy.”

The pandemic emergency orders, which had been set to expire Thursday, will also now grant mental health and addictions agencies the ability to redeploy staff during the pandemic. Similar measures have been introduced across the health-care and long-term care sectors.

The extension will also see continued restrictions that limit long-term care or retirement home staff to working in only one facility.

The government had been criticized for short duration of that order when it was issued last week.

According to government data, there were 68 additional deaths in long-term care homes across the province over the past 24 hours.

There have been at least 516 deaths in long-term care _ including one personal support worker _ amid outbreaks at 132 facilities, according to data from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

That data is taken from a different system than the provincewide data and the two are often out of sync.

Also on Thursday morning, the federal minister of public safety issued a brief statement confirming Ontario’s request for help from the Canadian Forces and Public Health Agency of Canada has been granted.

“Long-term care is a unique vulnerability in this pandemic,” Bill Blair said on Twitter. “We will continue working together as Team Canada to defeat (COVID-19).”

Ford said yesterday he was requesting the additional personnel to provide operational and logistical assistance so long-term care staff can focus on the care of residents.

They will be deployed to five priority homes, Ford said. Those locations haven’t been determined yet.

RELATED: Everything you need to know about coronavirus

 

RELATED: Coronavirus FAQs

 

Latest Traffic & Weather
680 NEWS TRAFFIC @680NEWStraffic 680 News Traffic Twitter verified icon
Updated 29 minutes ago
CLEARED: Crash on NB HWY 11 north of 12 Line.
Latest Traffic
680 NEWS WEATHER @680NEWSweather 
Updated Yesterday at 05:57 PM
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING has ended for the City of Hamilton and now we're just watching some additional rain hea…
Latest Weather