Loading articles...

Toronto vigil honors victims of New Zealand mosque shootings

Last Updated Mar 16, 2019 at 7:25 am EDT

Hundreds of people gathered in Nathan Phillips Square Friday evening to remember the victims killed in shootings at two New Zealand mosques.

The Christchurch, NZ shootings left 49 dead and dozens more injured in what was by far the deadliest shooting in modern New Zealand history.

Immigration minister Ahmed Hussen was one of several speakers at the vigil. While he recognized the importance of the gathering, he called on everyone to take further action.

“Call this hatred out. Call it out in our communities, in our societies, in our families, in our friendships, in our workplaces,” said Hussen. “We can never, ever normalize this hatred.”

The Toronto sign was dimmed to mourn the victims of the terrorist attack on Friday night.

Earlier in the day, Mayor John Tory said he was deeply saddened by the terror attack, adding he “stands with our Muslim community to condemn this hate-fueled violence.”

Ontario Premier Doug Ford strongly condemned the horrifying attack, tweeting, “I join people across Ontario and Canada and stand with all legislators at Queen’s Park in condemning this hatred and violence against our Muslim brothers and sisters.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also condemned the fatal shootings, saying the attack on people during prayers is “absolutely appalling.”

Another vigil is planned for Saturday afternoon at Mississauga’s Celebration Square.