Students in Ontario will begin returning to the classroom in-person Tuesday for the first time since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The province shuttered all schools on March 13 cases of coronavirus disease began to rise.
Some boards in different parts of the province will reopen schools Tuesday, while others will begin to restart over the next two weeks.
Boards will offer a mix of in-person classes and online learning for students who opt to stay home.
I’m incredibly proud of every student in this province.
— Stephen Lecce (@Sflecce) September 8, 2020
Last month, Education Minister Stephen Lecce gave boards permission to stagger school reopenings if they required more time to put pandemic safety protocols in place.
High school students will start orientation at the Peel District School Board on Tuesday, with elementary students beginning Wednesday, while Toronto District School Board students will not begin returning to class until Sept. 15.
Meanwhile a new report in the Globe and Mail says students in the Toronto District School Board could be put into classrooms with up to three grades to help with the smaller numbers of students returning.
A survey sent out by the TDSB last week shows approximately 30% of elementary students are planning on learning from home this september.
That number leaves some empty seats across the city, especially at schools in lower-income neighbourhoods.
Premier Doug Ford’s government has been under increasing pressure over its back-to-school plan, which has changed several times in the lead-up to reopening.
Lecce says the province’s plan puts safety first and the government will move quickly to address outbreaks in Ontario’s schools.
He said he understands students, parents and teachers are concerned about the reopening.
“I think all citizens and all parents around the world on the eve of students going back face that angst in their heart,” Lecce said in an interview. “But if we continue to follow public health advice … I do believe that students can return to a safe and positive environment.”
The government recently released new guidelines on how to deal with potential COVID-19 outbreaks in schools.
It emphasizes prevention and at-home screening, while teachers and principals will be asked to isolate any child that develops symptoms at school.
Public health officials will be given discretion to send entire cohorts of students home from school, or potentially close schools, if they feel that is the best way to manage an outbreak.
School boards, teachers’ unions and some parents have called on the government to mandate smaller class sizes to ensure physical distancing is possible in the classroom — and provide funding to make it happen.
Ontario’s four major teachers’ unions have appealed to the province’s labour board alleging the school reopening plan violates workplace safety laws.
NDP education critic Marit Stiles said as schools begin to reopen on Tuesday, she will be watching how students and teachers are able to physically distance in class.
Stiles said despite the pressure to cut elementary class sizes, the government has pushed ahead with its strategy.
“I think we’ve all been hoping that the government would get the message that the parents have been shouting pretty loudly,” she said. “I think the government really believes that they can lay the blame at the feet of the education workers and the boards and shrug their shoulders.”