Loading articles...

Markham dog dies after consuming potentially poisoned food: police

Last Updated May 22, 2020 at 4:03 pm EDT

File photo of a York Regional Police cruiser. (File/CITYNEWS)

York Regional Police are investigating after a dog died after eating potentially poisonous food in a Markham park Thursday.

Police said an 11-month-old St. Bernard-Poodle mix named Hugo had been taken for a walk by his owner along the track at St. Brother Andre High School at 6160 16th Avenue East.

The owner told police Hugo had found a cut-open water bottle and consumed the unknown substance inside.

“Shortly after, the dog became very ill and died,” police said. “Police are also warning pet owners and parents to be vigilant and ensure that pets and children don’t eat anything found on the ground.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police directly or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers.

Latest Traffic & Weather
680 NEWS TRAFFIC @680NEWStraffic 680 News Traffic Twitter verified icon
Updated Today at 12:49 PM
CLEAR: All lanes reopened EB 401 app. Hwy 25. #EB401
Latest Traffic
680 NEWS WEATHER @680NEWSweather 
Updated Today at 03:17 AM
Good Thursday morning! Very warm and humid today and just a very slight chance of showers this afternoon for #Toronto GTA
Latest Weather