Premier Doug Ford says details on the next phase of reopening will be announced this Thursday.
Ford would not provide any specific information as to which businesses would be allowed to reopen or the timing, but said it would be Phase One of their reopening plan.
In his daily briefing, Ford teased “good news”, saying the people of Ontario have followed all the protocols.
“(We’ll have) more good news about getting people back to work, more good news about opening workplaces, getting paycheques out the door, more good news about slowly getting back to normal,” Ford said.
He said the low-risk workplaces, seasonal businesses and more essential services will be allowed to open.
The premier also said the province would find out if they would be increasing the number of people allowed at a social gathering from five to 10 people.
This week, retail stores were allowed to reopen for curbside pickup and delivery, while hardware stores and garden centres have been allowed to reopen to in-store customers.
According to the reopening plan released by the province last month, Phase One would see the following:
- For businesses that were ordered to close or restrict operations, opening select workplaces that can immediately meet or modify operations to meet public health guidance and occupational health and safety requirements
- Opening some outdoor spaces like parks and allow for a greater number of individuals to attend some events, such as funerals.
- Continued protections for vulnerable populations and the continued practice of physical distancing, hand washing and respiratory hygiene, and significant mitigation plans to limit health risks. Hospitals beginning to offer some non-urgent and scheduled surgeries and other health care services.
Ontario currently has 20,907 coronavirus cases with 73.6 per cent considered resolved. A total of 1,725 people have died in the province.
The provincial legislature is voted Tuesday to extend Ontario’s state of emergency until June 2.
With files from The Canadian Press