Loading articles...

Mayor recuses himself from Rogers Centre renovation talks due to conflict of interest

Last Updated Aug 9, 2019 at 2:22 pm EST

Mayor John Tory announcing the creation of a new website called “Stop the Cuts” to push back against Ford government budget cuts, May 22, 2019. CITYNEWS/Adrian Golombek

Any talk at Toronto City Hall involving future plans for the Rogers Centre won’t include Mayor John Tory after he declared a conflict because of his ongoing role in the Rogers family trusts on Friday.

His office said while the trusts don’t involve the day to day business of the communications giant, the mayor has adopted a practice of recusing himself from matters in which Rogers is directly involved.

The Blue Jays have been trying to spruce up the 30-year-old stadium by renovating the 100 and 200 level concourses and installing new gate signs.

Team president and CEO Mark Shapiro told Sportsnet he feels like the team is getting closer to larger changes but isn’t quite there yet.

He didn’t go into detail about those changes but said his job is to make sure the stadium continues to be safe and have the best infrastructure.

Citytv and 680 News are owned by Rogers Communications.

You can view the correspondence between the mayor and the integrity commission below.

12.07.19 Rogers Centre – Letter to Integrity Commisions Re Rogers Centre by CityNewsToronto on Scribd

IC Letter Re Rogers Centre by CityNewsToronto on Scribd

Latest Traffic & Weather
680 NEWS TRAFFIC @680NEWStraffic 680 News Traffic Twitter verified icon
Updated 20 minutes ago
WB 401 approaching Avenue express - left lane partially blocked with a collision. #WB401
Latest Traffic
680 NEWS WEATHER @680NEWSweather 
Updated Today at 03:16 PM
Tomorrow in #Toronto could be the mildest day of 2021 so far, and since Christmas Eve
Latest Weather