Two Canadians are reportedly injured after a fatal bus crash in eastern Cuba on Thursday afternoon.
The bus, which was carrying tourists and local travellers, crashed on a road between the cities of Baracoa and Guantanamo.
“Cuban authorities have confirmed that no Canadians are among those who died in this bus crash,” Global Affairs Canada said in a statement.
“We are providing consular assistance to Canadians who are affected.”
Radio Guantanamo reports seven people are dead and 33 are injured. Out of the 33, five are in critical condition.
The dead include three Cubans and four tourists. Among the injured are 11 locals and 22 tourists.
According to Radio Guantanamo, two Canadians were injured — a 56-year-old man and a 54-year-old man. The Canadians suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the crash.
Global Affairs Canada has yet to confirm the report.
The driver told Radio Guantanamo that he lost control on the wet and winding road.
Cuban highways are poorly lit, narrow and rutted with huge potholes. There were 750 deaths and 7,999 injuries in 11,187 accidents last year in the country of 11 million. Thursday’s wreck was the fourth major bus accident in a month.