Toronto police tell CityNews they are investigating two new incidents believed to be linked to St. Michael’s College School and there are videos of both.
“What we are looking at is two additional videos turned over to us,” said Insp. Dominic Sinopoli, Unit Commander of Sex Crimes for Toronto police. “One of the videos is going to be classified as a threatening occurrence and the secondary video will be classified as an assault with a weapon.”
In one of the new videos a boy is reportedly being smacked with a belt.
Insp. Sinopoli says potential victims in the latest videos have not yet been identified and it’s too soon to say if additional charges will be laid.
“We are investigating them as criminal offenses but that is not to say they will be, or are, criminal offenses,” he said. “I don’t believe there were any injuries.”
Sinopoli didn’t say who submitted the videos, but confirmed that they did not come from school officials.
“I can tell you that St. Mike’s is fully co-operating,” he added.
Toronto Police Inspector Dominic Sinopoli tells me the first video is threatening, the second video is assault a weapon. In that video a boy is being smacked with a belt. No further details.
— Shaunacitynews (@shaunacitynews) November 20, 2018
Police are now investigating a total of six incidents linked to the prestigious all-boys private school, which announced Tuesday that it was cancelling its mid-year assessments as well as all events involving external groups, teams, and public performances for the remainder of the year
On Monday, six students were arrested and charged in connection with an alleged gang sexual assault with a broom handle that had been recorded on video and circulated on social media.
The suspects, who are between the ages of 14 and 15, were all charged with assault, gang sexual assault, and sexual assault with a weapon.
Five of the suspects turned themselves in to police, while another was arrested while on his way to school. When asked why that student was not under expulsion, Sinopoli said, “It is my understating that the school was not aware of his involvement.”
All six suspects were held in custody until being released on bail later Monday.
Bail was set between $5,000 and $7,000 and all six are scheduled to return to court on Dec. 19.
Mayor John Tory touched on the scandal Tuesday morning.
“The whole thing is very sad,” he said. “This is a school that has many proud traditions over a long period of time but these are clearly very sad, very tragic, and very unacceptable events that seem to have occurred.
“I would hope that in every public school, every private school, every community organization, people are taking awful stories like that and using it as a moment to reflect.”