Loading articles...

Class-action lawsuit filed over Parliament Street fire

Emergency crews respond to a fire at a highrise near Parliament and Bloor streets on Aug. 21, 2018. CITYNEWS/Tony Fera

Two law firms have filed a class-action lawsuit on behalf of residents of 650 Parliament St. after the highrise was evacuated during an electrical fire last month.

The lawsuit names the building’s management and Toronto Hydro.

Approximately 1,500 residents were displaced after the six-alarm fire broke out on Aug. 21, taking out power to the entire building.

“Our goal is to obtain compensation for the residents of 650 Parliament Street,” Sharon Strosberg, of Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP, said in a release.

“I implore the residents to save their receipts for expenses incurred, record their mileage for extra driving and track days missed from work for the purposes of proving their losses.”

Residents were told last week that it could be months before they can return home and those visiting the building to collect their belongings said the process is disorganized and taking far too long.

“They’re taking one or two people at a time with no organization whatsoever,” said building resident Karen McMichael. “People are cutting the line. People are arriving at all kinds of random times.”

Mayor John Tory asked citizens and corporations in Toronto to contribute housing, money and back-to-school supplies for over 300 children who needed clothes, shoes and other essentials.

As of last week, the Red Cross had received $32,638 in financial donations as well as 112 offers of accommodations and hundreds of school supplies.

Strosberg Sasso Sutts and Charney Lawyers will host a town hall meeting for residents next week where they can learn more about the class-action lawsuit.