A Progressive Conservative candidate in Ontario’s provincial election has pulled out of the race citing anonymous allegations made against him.
Simmer Sandhu, who had been running in the riding of Brampton East, says the allegations pertain to both his work life and his nomination campaign.
Sandhu says he denies the allegations and will vigorously defend himself.
He also thanks supporters and volunteers for their hard work and dedication, and says he’s confident in PC Leader Doug Ford’s ability to earn the trust of Ontario voters.
A party spokeswoman says Sandhu’s resignation has been accepted.
Melissa Lantsman says the party is excited to announce Surdeep Verma as its new candidate in Brampton East, calling him a great addition to the PC team.
In his statement posted on Twitter Sandhu does not give details of the allegations.
“I have recently been made aware of allegations anonymously made against me pertaining to both my work life and my nomination campaign,” he wrote Wednesday.
“These allegations are totally baseless. I absolutely deny them.”
Sandhu said that while he is confident he will be cleared it is impossible for him to continue as a PC candidate.