BOSTON – MGM is planning to open its $960 million Massachusetts casino earlier than expected.
MGM Resorts International President Bill Hornbuckle said in a Wednesday interview with The Associated Press that Aug. 24 is the new planned opening date for its resort casino complex in downtown Springfield. The company had previously envisioned opening it sometime in September.
Hornbuckle says relatively mild winters and steady progress on a nearby highway project impacting the casino have allowed construction to move slightly faster than anticipated.
He declined to address reports the company has been quietly negotiating with Wynn to take over its $2.5 billion Boston-area project.
Massachusetts regulators are investigating allegations of sexual misconduct by Wynn Resorts founder Steve Wynn. The results of the investigation might impact Wynn Resorts’ casino license.