York regional police say several firearms were stolen from a safe during a break-in at a home in Markham on Monday.
Police were called to a home on Plum Tree Circle in the area of Warden and 16th avenues at around 11:40 p.m. The homeowner had been out, but returned to the residence and noticed that several guns were missing from a safe.
Police are asking anyone with information to come forward. In the meantime, they’re reminding residents to follow these tips to help prevent break-ins.
- Put lights on timers to give the impression someone is home
- Keep exterior areas around doors and windows well-lit and visible
- Ask a neighbour to park a vehicle in your driveway
- Remember to suspend newspaper delivery
- Have someone regularly clear your driveway of snow or mow your lawn
- Equip your home with a security system and/or video surveillance
- Do not publicly post your travel plans on social media or leave the fact that you are away on your voicemail
“If you store firearms in a safe, please consider securing the safe to a wall or floor or other suitable fixed point,” police added. “We recommend securing the firearm even further by using a trigger lock or other locking device. Ensure your firearms are always stored unloaded.”