Loading articles...

Security images released of man sought in Tess Richey investigation

Last Updated Dec 10, 2017 at 1:23 pm EDT

Homicide investigators are looking to identify this man as part of the investigation in the murder of Tess Richey (TPS/Handout)

Toronto police have released security camera images of a man they are hoping to identify as part of the investigation into the murder of Tess Richey.

The 22-year-old went missing last month and was found dead in a stairwell a few days later in the Church and Wellesley area.

On the evening before it’s believed Richey was murdered, she and a friend went to Crews & Tango – a bar located on Church Street just south of Maitland Street, investigators said on Friday.

Police said that after that, around 1:45 a.m., Richey and her friend walked up to the intersection of Church and Wellesley Street to a hot dog cart.

It’s believed that while they were there, an unknown male joined the two women and began talking.

He is described as a male who appears to have light skin, about 5’7 to 6 feet, slim build, dark jacket and light pants.

Police said Tess, her friend and the man went north on Church to Dondonald Street, where they spent some time speaking with a couple. A while later, around 4 a.m., the group then went their separate ways, according to police.

Tess and the man walked away and went slightly northbound to 582 Church Street. Police said this is the last time Tess is shown on any kind of security camera or seen by any witnesses.

Police said the man left the stairwell on his own and walked north on Church Street.

On Sunday, police released surveillance images of a man who appears to fit the description. At this time, they say they are not classifying him as a suspect. They want to find him, speak with him and hear his version of the events.

Tess’ body was found in the outdoor stairwell several days later by her mother, who had come to the city to join in the search for he missing daughter.

Although foul play wasn’t originally believed to involved, it was later determined that the cause of death was neck compression.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police or Crime Stoppers.