Talks continue with several education unions in the province after an ultimatum issued by Premier Kathleen Wynne expired on Sunday.
Last month, Wynne announced that Ontario elementary teachers and some support staff will have their pay docked if they don’t stop their work-to-rule campaigns by Nov. 1.
In a statement on Monday morning, the Ministry of Education said it has held discussions with the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, and support staff workers represented by the Canadian Union of Public Employees and the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation.
“At this time, bargaining continues and we look forward to being able to provide an update later today,” it read.
The members of the union could see a pay cut in five days, unless there is a deal or all work-to-rule campaigns are halted.
“Children’s lives are being negatively affected, so parents and families are understandably frustrated,” Wynne said last week.
— Cynthia Mulligan (@CityCynthia) October 23, 2015
“Schools are increasingly dirty and activities that are important to students and parents such as completion of report cards are not taking place.”
The school boards have requested consent from the government to dock the pay of teachers and staff who are withdrawing services but the government won’t give that permission until Nov. 1, which would then trigger five days’ notice of impending action.
Members of the elementary schools teachers federation have stopped extracurricular activities. They’re also not going on field trips or submitting any comments for the upcoming fall reports.