It’s been a deadly month so far on Ontario road and the Ontario Provincial Police say most of the fatal crashes were preventable.
Twenty-seven people died in 23 crashes on OPP patrolled roads between June 1 and 21.
Four of the collisions involved double fatalities and one of the crashes resulted in the deaths of two motorcyclists, according to the OPP. Two other fatal collisions in June led to the OPP charging two drivers with impaired causing death.
OPP said the same poor driver behaviours were behind the majority of the deaths – speeding, impaired or distracted driving, or not wearing a seat belt.
“These senseless road deaths are revealing the same causal factors over and over again,” OPP deputy commissioner Brad Blair said in a statement.
“Until all drivers stop speeding, driving impaired or distracted and ensure that everyone in their vehicle is buckled in, history will continue to repeat itself and innocent people will continue to die on our roads,” he explained.
Carolyn Swinson with MADD Canada she said can’t understand how people can still get behind the wheel after drinking.
She knows first hand what it’s like to lose someone to a drunk driver.
“I’ve said many times, I wish people who take these risks could just walk in my shoes for a while to know what it’s like to have a son, he was 27 when he was killed,” Swinson said.
Police are reminding drivers to act responsibly and encouraging anyone who suspects that someone is driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, to contact police.