Loading articles...

#TTCfail: One reporter's adventure to work after subway shutdown

Irene Preklet, 680News

Last Updated Jun 8, 2015 at 2:06 pm EDT

A crowd of people wait on the sidewalk outside Finch Station on June 8, 2015. 680 NEWS/Irene Preklet

An hour-long subway shutdown on all four lines prompted a fierce response on social media, most of whom were upset and baffled by the service disruption.

Subways stopped running just after 6:30 a.m. on Monday and service resumed at 7:40 a.m.

With shuttle buses not running to replace the affected service, many riders had to resort to clever ways to get to work and school.

When subway service began to shut down, 680 NEWS reporter Irene Preklet found herself stuck on a stationary train at Finch station on Line 1 (Yonge-University-Spadina) for 45 minutes before being forced to evacuate.

At first, the athletic reporter contemplated walking from Finch Avenue to Bloor Street. But then, Preklet decided to make a run for it — you see, she is a running enthusiast who has participated in several running events in Canada and the U.S.

Below is Preklet’s narrative detailing her long journey from Finch to Bloor-Yonge:

I should have known there were problems on the subway when arriving at the platform at Finch Station at 6:24 a.m. The train in the station was full and there were already people on the platform waiting for the next train.

I got on the train that was in the station and then the waiting began. After about 10 minutes, the driver announced we were holding at the station but didn’t know why. After several messages like that, we were told that there was a communication issue and trains had to hold.

They told us they were waiting for more information as to how long this would take. At about 6:45 a.m., we were told it would be resolved shortly, then another update said five to 10 minutes. After a few more messages like this, we were told the problem was much worse than previously thought and it could be hours before the subway was running. We were told to get off the train.

At 7:07 a.m., I grabbed a transfer and headed to Yonge Street for the elusive bus. It was jammed just trying to take the stairs to street level. After 10 minutes passed, not a single bus was in sight. This is when I get the idea that it might be better to run.

At 7:24 a.m., an hour after first arriving at the station I started running south, complete with a 12-pound backpack and my purse — it was quite the sight. I almost reached North York Centre station, but a heavy downpour started, so I slipped into a bus shelter to wait it out, along with four other people who had started walking. While in the bus shelter, I hear that the subway is working again.

I boarded a train at 7:50 a.m., but we are crowded in there like sardines, not to mention that I was soaking wet after my short run. At 8:18 a.m., we finally pulled into Bloor-Yonge station. I got at Bloor almost two hours after having arrived at Finch.

Latest Traffic & Weather
680 NEWS TRAFFIC @680NEWStraffic 680 News Traffic Twitter verified icon
Updated 37 minutes ago
EB QEW - a collision approaching Mississauga Road is blocking the left lane.
Latest Traffic
680 NEWS WEATHER @680NEWSweather 
Updated Today at 05:29 AM
Retweeted @jilltaylor680: Enjoy the comfortable temperatures today and tomorrow (July 23/24) It will be back to the stick to your shirt kind of fe…
Latest Weather