LONDON – British pop star Cliff Richard says police have questioned him about a sexual assault allegation.
A statement issued Sunday on behalf of Richard says the allegation that he assaulted a boy at a religious rally in Sheffield, northern England, in the 1980s is “completely false.”
Police, who do not name suspects unless they are charged, said a 73-year-old man was interviewed under caution at a police station Saturday. He was not arrested.
“Under caution” means the interview was recorded and could be used in future prosecutions.
Earlier this month police searched a house belonging to Richard near London after receiving what they called “an allegation of a sexual nature.”
Richard was one of Britain’s first rock stars in the 1950s and has recorded hit singles over the past six decades.