Loading articles...

3 people homeless after early morning fire

There people have been left homeless after an early-morning fire at a Toronto Community Housing building.

The fire broke out at a three-storey home on Cavell Avenue, near Pape and Danforth avenues, around 1:30 a.m. There were at least two units in the home.

While the exact cause isn’t known, crews believe a space heater may been placed too close to the bed, sparking the fire. Earlier, it was reported an air conditioning unit may have shorted out.

There was no working smoking detector in the home.

While no injuries were reported, at least seven residents will be without a home for 24 hours, and three people have been displaced “indefinitely” due to damage to their unit.

The fire was knocked down by 2:15 a.m.

Meanwhile, a second fire began around 5:30 a.m. at a lowrise apartment building on Victoria Park Avenue just north of Eglinton Avenue.

The units were evacuated but residents were allowed back in just before 6 a.m.

The fire may have started in the kitchen.

There’s no word yet on the cost of the damages in either fire.

Latest Traffic & Weather
680 NEWS TRAFFIC @680NEWStraffic 680 News Traffic Twitter verified icon
Updated Just moments ago
VEHICLE FIRE - #EB401 at Winston Churchill. Two right lanes blocked.
Latest Traffic
680 NEWS WEATHER @680NEWSweather 
Updated Yesterday at 06:56 PM
A great patio/balcony day tomorrow as the humidity stays low. Bring in the cushions by 8a-9a Thursday morning at th…
Latest Weather