There people have been left homeless after an early-morning fire at a Toronto Community Housing building.
The fire broke out at a three-storey home on Cavell Avenue, near Pape and Danforth avenues, around 1:30 a.m. There were at least two units in the home.
While the exact cause isn’t known, crews believe a space heater may been placed too close to the bed, sparking the fire. Earlier, it was reported an air conditioning unit may have shorted out.
There was no working smoking detector in the home.
While no injuries were reported, at least seven residents will be without a home for 24 hours, and three people have been displaced “indefinitely” due to damage to their unit.
The fire was knocked down by 2:15 a.m.
Meanwhile, a second fire began around 5:30 a.m. at a lowrise apartment building on Victoria Park Avenue just north of Eglinton Avenue.
The units were evacuated but residents were allowed back in just before 6 a.m.
The fire may have started in the kitchen.
There’s no word yet on the cost of the damages in either fire.