TORONTO – “I do not use crack cocaine.”
After a week of silence, Mayor Rob Ford spoke officially about drug-use allegations against him.
Ford’s statement came after members of his executive committee released a letter that urged him to speak formally.
The letter is signed by Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday, councillors Peter Milczyn, Gary Crawford, Jaye Robinson, Michael Thompson and Cesar Palacio.
Ford said his lawyer had advised him to keep quiet.
Earlier on Friday, speaking to reporters outside of the mayor’s officer, Holyday said the longer it takes for Ford to speak, the worse it gets. He also said he’s concerned about the pressure Ford is under.
In his briefing to reporters, Holyday reassured the city’s residents that City Hall is on top of administering business.
“I don’t like the city of Toronto shown in this light,” Holyday added.
It’s been seven days since reports of the video surfaced, and the mayor has yet to make an official statement.
Members of the executive committee include: Ford (chair), Holyday (vice-chair), and councillors Crawford, Paul Ainslie, Vincent Crisanti, Frank Di Giorgio, Norm Kelly, Peter Milczyn, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Cesar Palacio, Jaye Robinson, David Shiner, and Michael Thompson.
Mayor Rob Ford denies crack cocaine use
Watch the video below: