Loading articles...

NDP says documents show Clement was involved in G8 legacy fund

Industry Minister Tony Clement

OTTAWA – The opposition says it has proof Minister Tony Clement had been involved in picking projects for the controversial G8 legacy fund.

The fund saw $50-million spread out throughout Clement’s northern Ontario riding.

On Monday, the NDP released new documents that they says contradicts Clement’s testimony to a Parliamentary Committee this fall, and they want the Minster to come clean.

The documents at the centre of this are briefing notes from a senior bureaucrat.

The NDP claim Clement’s office directly decided which projects would get funding.

NDP critic Charlie Angus says the minister has misled Canadians and that this is unacceptable.

“What he has done is engage in the most ornery, old style, pork barrel, rum bottle politics that I think Ottawa has seen in decades,” he said.

Angus also claims the Departments of Infrastructure and Transport both withheld documents from the Auditor General in a cover up of this clear breach of the rules.

Clement has maintained his office had simply been a drop off point for proposals and he had no hand in choosing which projects received funding.

Latest Traffic & Weather
680 NEWS TRAFFIC @680NEWStraffic 680 News Traffic Twitter verified icon
Updated Yesterday at 08:18 PM
VEHICLE FIRE: SB 400 approaching Innisfil Beach Road the right lane is blocked off due to a vehicle fire, emergency crews on scene #HWY400
Latest Traffic
680 NEWS WEATHER @680NEWSweather 
Updated Yesterday at 05:30 PM
Hazy skies continue for tomorrow. Mix of sun and cloud with a high of 25 degrees. Humidex near 29.
Latest Weather