The father of a missing Woodbridge, Ont., infant has told York police his son is dead; however, investigators haven’t yet been able to verify the claim.
Ricky Doodnaught, 31, has been in police custody for a week on abduction charges of his son, who hasn’t been seen since late October.
He’s accused of taking his son in violation of a Children’s Aid Society custody order — that was when police launched a search for the nine-week-old baby George.
After refusing to cooperate with police, the father suddenly offered a disturbing piece of information.
“Mr. [Ricky] Doodnaught did come forward, provide a statement to us on Friday [Dec. 9], and information that he provided to us was that the baby died around the date of Nov. 1,” York police Const. Rebecca Boyd told 680News.
She said police don’t have any proof of the baby’s death and need tips from the public.
“We’re still seeking information from anyone who has information on the family’s movement on or about [Nov. 1], or have any information on the baby’s death — please come forward and let us know,” Const. Boyd said.
His bail hearing is being put over to December 30 because of the new information given to police.
“Under the circumstances and under Mr. Doodnaught’s instructions, (he) thought it was appropriate to allow th police to do what they need to do,” Doodnaught’s lawyer Michael Lacy said.
Two of the father’s family members — an aunt and a cousin — were charged last week with obstruction and accessory after the fact.