TORONTO, Ont. – Toronto police and the TTC launched a joint traffic-safety blitz, Monday, targeting public transit.
The “Take Time to Check” program will focus on motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to be aware while in and around TTC vehicles.
Officers are also going to look for drivers who fail to stop behind open streetcar doors and pedestrians who run through traffic to catch a bus or streetcar.
Below are some tips for motorists and pedestrians (courtesy of Toronto police):
- Be prepared to stop behind a streetcar
- Stop and do not pass the open doors of a streetcar
- Watch and be prepared for customers getting on and off transit vehicles
- Proceed slowly and cautiously once the doors close and the roadway is clear
TTC rider tips:
- Wait until the streetcar has stopped before entering the roadway
- Wait until the doors open
- Watch and prepare for traffic before stepping off
- Watch traffic and never assume a driver sees you