TORONTO, Ont. – An arson investigation is underway after a 2-alarm blaze damaged a three-storey building on Queen Street W. Thursday morning.
Toronto fire officials now believe that arson was the likely cause of the fire, which left one man in hospital with smoke inhalation.
Only the one man was injured in the fire, which officials believe likely started on a balcony or porch at the Victorian-style building located at 467 Queen St. W. Firefighters were able to rescue the man from a closet, and EMS officials treated him with oxygen on the scene before he was taken to hospital.
The other residents of the building were evacuated and spent the rest of the night sheltered on a TTC bus.
While the blaze turned out to be relatively mild, it couldn’t help but spark memories of the massive 2008 blaze on Queen Street W.
In February 2008 a massive blaze left a large area of Queen Street W. ravaged, leaving as many as 60 people homeless or without jobs.