TORONTO, Ont. – The 15-year-old boy charged with first-degree murder in the death of York police Const. Garrett Styles is reportedly paralysed from the waist down.
Const. Styles, 32, was run over by a vehicle just before 5 a.m. Tuesday during a routine traffic stop on Highway 48, east of Newmarket, Ont., and pinned underneath.
York police Chief Eric Jolliffe said Const. Styles had pulled over a van driven by the 15-year-old male. Styles had been standing at the drivers side door when the vehicle accelerated. He was dragged approximately 300 metres before the vehicle lost control and rolled over, pinning him beneath it.
The accused suffered serious injuries during the crash and was transferred to hospital where he was officially charged with first-degree murder Tuesday evening.
He was remanded into the custody of the Ministry of Children and Youth Services – Justice Division and is scheduled to appear in a Newmarket court on Thursday, July 7.
Under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, a first-degree murder charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.
The Toronto Sun reported the teen, who is now in Toronto Western Hospital, is from Keswick, Ont., and was known to police.
The van he was driving allegedly belonged to his father. The Sun said it was travelling at more than 145 kilometres an hour when it was pulled over by Const. Styles who was alledgedly presented with a driver’s licence, even though the teen was too young to have one.
The funeral for Const. Styles will be held on Tuesday, July 5, in Newmarket.
Meanwhile, tributes continue to pour in for the fallen officer. Share your condolences here.
Flowers and condolence cards have been placed up against the front of York police’s 1 District Headquarters in Newmarket where the constable worked out of.
The Toronto Police Service has made a book of condolence available to the public in the lobby of headquarters at 40 College St. It will remain there until Tuesday at 7 p.m.