Loading articles...

Toronto unlikely to receive more money from province: McGuinty

TORONTO, Ont. – It is unlikely the city will receive any more funds from the province, after Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has said Toronto has to deal with the issues on its own, as it has taxing powers of its own to bring in more money.

Mayor Rob Ford wrote the province last month asking that $150-million more from next month’s provincial budget be put in the city’s coffers.

However, McGuinty said the province is already contributing on a large scale, giving Toronto $8 billion for public transit, and a share of the gas tax resulting in millions of dollars saved each year.

“We’ve got our own set of challenges, and so does everybody else, and so there’s just no money available,” he told reporters on Monday.

One of Ford’s first moves after becoming Mayor was to scrap the $60 vehicle tax imposed by the Miller administration, which was originally a power given to the city by the province to better handle its financial crisis.

Latest Traffic & Weather
680 NEWS TRAFFIC @680NEWStraffic 680 News Traffic Twitter verified icon
Updated Just moments ago
TRAFFIC ALERT: The EB 401 express lanes remain CLOSED from Meadowvale to Brock Road. The left lane is also blocked…
Latest Traffic
680 NEWS WEATHER @680NEWSweather 
Updated Today at 03:14 AM
It’s Friday!! Wet weather in the forecast but it doesn’t get going until later today. Tune to 680 NEWS 📻 for more d…
Latest Weather