Loading articles...

Forcillo back in court to deal with bail-breach charge

Last Updated Dec 15, 2017 at 6:47 am EDT

Const. James Forcillo arrives at court in Toronto on Jan. 25, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Const. James Forcillo will be back in court Friday, when it will be determined whether it’s necessary to hold a new bail hearing on his bail-breach charge.

Forcillo was convicted of attempted murder last year in the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim on a streetcar in 2013. He was sentenced to six years in prison, but had been out on bail — living under house arrest — as he appealed his conviction.

However, he was arrested last month and charged with breaching the conditions of his bail. Police say Forcillo failed to live with his surety, or notify authorities of a change of address.

At a brief court hearing later that month, a Crown lawyer told a justice of the peace that Forcillo’s bail had been revoked by the Ontario Court of Appeal on Monday at prosecutors’ request.

Forcillo will remain in custody at a Toronto-area jail while his bail-breach charge of failing to comply with recognizance is before the courts.

Once the matter is dealt with, Forcillo will most likely be transferred to prison to begin serving his six-year sentence, his lawyer Michael Lacy said.

The officer’s appeal is ongoing, Lacy said, with issues concerning “fresh evidence” that could result in a court date next year.


Related stories:

Bail revoked for Const. James Forcillo, convicted in Sammy Yatim shooting

Crown seeking to revoke Const. Forcillo’s bail; officer remains in custody

Forcillo sentenced to six years for Yatim shooting death