Loading articles...

Suspected carbon monoxide poisoning sends 11 to hospital in Grand Valley

As man as 11 people were hospitalized Sunday following a carbon monoxide leak at a community centre in Grand Valley, Ont., west of Orangeville.

Ontario Provincial Police and other local emergency crews responded to a call just before 2:30 p.m. at the Grand Valley and District Community Centre after several people reported symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide exposure.

A statement from Duffering Country Emergency Management said those taken to hospital had suffered minor symptoms. However, they were urging anyone who had symptoms such as headache; weakness; dizziness; nausea or vomiting; shortness of breath; confusion or blurred vision to seek treatment.

Specialists will be called in to inspect all fuel burning applicances in the facility to determine the source of the leak. The community centre is not expected to reopen again until Monday afternoon at the earliest.