Loading articles...

Weekend to End Women’s Cancers kicks off at Rogers Centre

Thousands hit the pavement Saturday morning as the annual Weekend to End Women’s Cancers kicked off.

The annual event raises money for cancer research at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre.

Over 3,000 people took part in the one-day, 32-kilometre walk and the two-day, 60-kilometre walk, which both began following the ceremony at Rogers Centre.

 

 

Paolo D’elia, the general manager of Trade Secrets, has been doing the event for 11 years. He said his initial motivation was to bring awareness to the event.

However, over the years it has become a personal cause.

“I felt obligated to our consumers to speak for something that touches a lot of women,” explained D’elia. “I myself am a cancer survivor for the second time as well, right now I’m going through my second bout. My mother-in-law had breast cancer last year, my brother-in-law had kidney cancer. So we were personally touched many ways in the last year.”

Paul Alofs, president and CEO of the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation, says that after 12 years this will be the last Walk to End Women’s Cancer before the event changes next year.

“What we heard from our walk community is they want to raise money for a very wide range of cancers, not just women’s cancers,” he explained.

Alofs says the 25-kilometre One Walk to Conquer Cancer will allow participants to raise money for any type of cancer research they wish to support.

More than $7.7-million was raised this year. Since its inception in 2003, the event has raised $148-million.

 

For more information on the Weekend to End Women’s Cancer and the One Walk to Conquer Cancer click here.

Click here for event road closures.