A man is in critical condition after he got a severe electrical shock while working at a transformer station downtown, Toronto EMS confirms.
It happened before 11 a.m. Saturday at Wellington and John streets.
“Our crews were initially dispatched for a medical call and on their arrival they realized it was more than a standard medical call,” Toronto Fire Acting District Chief Colin Giffin said. “They had a Hydro One worker that was working at the at the facility here and he was [shocked] during the course of his work.”
Crews rescued the man from a harness about 15 feet above the ground and he was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital.
“He was suspended there and unable to bring himself to the ground,” Giffin said. “Hydro One personnel were able to confirm that the power was shut off, and we were able to do a fairly straightforward technical rope rescue and bring the victim down toward the ground.”
The victim was semi-conscious and breathing at the time.