Toronto city councillor Giorgio Mammoliti is partially retracting a statement he made earlier this week following two deaths at the VELD Music Festival.
Mammoliti had earlier said the promoters of the electronic dance music (EDM) event at Downsview park were partly to blame “due to their negligence and poor security measures.”
In a press release issued on Friday afternoon, Mammoliti now says it was not his intention to name the people at INK Entertainment but rather question security at the event.
Mammoliti had also put some of the blame on councillors Mike Layton and Gord Perks, calling on them to resign in a release he issued on Tuesday, but their names were not mentioned in Friday’s retraction.
Below is the full statement issued by Mammoliti:
“It was not my intent to name them as directly responsible or negligent parties relating to the very tragic deaths of 2 people. Based on previous comments made by the organizers claiming security at these events is always top notch, I felt a level of outrage at hearing of 2 deaths and 13 hospitalizations occurring at the most recent EDM event. In retrospect I could have expanded on the comment in that statement to give a broader explanation that my reference to negligence was in relation to security, as my concern with EDM events is and always has been security and harm reduction. As well, I would like to once again offer my sincerest condolences to the families affected by these tragic deaths.”
– Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti Ward 7 – York West