The GTA gas plant scandal continues to plague Premier Kathleen Wynne with less than a week to go until Ontarians head to the polls.
The Toronto Star reported Friday that Wynne’s predecessor, Dalton McGuinty, has been interviewed by the OPP’s anti-rackets squad, which is looking into allegations of deleted emails related to his cancellation of the power plants in Mississauga and Oakville before the 2011 election. The cancellations ultimately cost taxpayers $1.1 billion.
That news came after the Ottawa Citizen reported Thursday that the OPP has obtained a production order from an Ottawa court to get key records from the legislature including visitors’ logs.
Wynne said the production order is not directed at any particular individual.
In an interview with Breakfast Television on Friday, she said, “That’s an ongoing investigation. But I’ve taken action even in advance of that investigation.”
She said she’s changed the rules around document retention and the process around sighting gas plants and that those changes are what ensures it doesn’t happen again.
The Opposition parties demanded Wynne ensure all documents on the cancelled gas plants are made public immediately.
PC energy critic Lisa MacLeod said the OPP were looking for visitors’ logs that the justice committee had requested but could not get, to try and figure out when an outside computer expert was brought into the premier’s office.
The OPP earlier seized 24 computer hard drives from the premier’s office and determined some had been wiped clean of data during the transition of power from McGuinty to Wynne.
MacLeod says with an election just six days away, Wynne has a responsibility to voters to make sure all the gas plant documents are made public today.
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said the police visit to the legislature is another reminder of why Ontario needs a change of government June 12.
With files from The Canadian Press