A three-alarm fire broke out at St. Michael’s Hospital Tuesday afternoon.

Roads in the area, including Victoria Street and Shuter Street, were closed for several hours as crews worked to douse the flames.

EMS confirm the fire started in an electrical panel.

Smoke could be seen billowing from the 12th floor, where a hydro vault is believed to be housed.

The vault is reportedly located strategically to prevent smoke or fire from entering the hospital.

Smoke entered the hospital occasionally when the emergency room doors on the ground floor open.

There is no word on any injuries at this time. However some areas of the hospital near the fire were evacuated.

Witnesses said the mood inside the hospital was calm.

Click here to follow St. Mike’s on Twitter for the latest updates.