The Islamic militant group behind the abduction of around 300 Nigerian schoolgirls claims he is willing to free them if all jailed militants are released, according to reports.
Abubakar Shekau, the leader of Boko Haram, said the schoolgirls will continue to be held until all imprisoned militants are freed, NBC News and BBC News reported on Monday.
This latest development comes as a new video is released by the group appearing to show about 100 kidnapped girls praying.
In the video taped in a secret location, Boko Haram claims the girls have converted to Islam since they were abducted from their school.
The girls, who appear to be calm and in good health, are seen wearing Muslim headdresses and praying in the 17-minute video, which was obtained by Agence France-Presse. Watch the video below.
Video embed courtesy of: AFP/NBCNews.com
Meanwhile, the governor of Nigeria’s Borno state said he has passed on information on the possible location of the girls to the military for verification.
Boko Haram admitted to kidnapping the girls from their their boarding school in northern Borno in April.
So far, 53 of the students have escaped, while 276 remain captive.
In a previously released video, Boko Haram threatened to sell the girls.