The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office is investigating a west-end house fire that left a 91-year-old man in critical condition.
No smoke detectors were heard or found by firefighters on scene.
Emergency crews were called to the detached bungalow at Beaver Bend Crescent and Deancrest Road, in the Highway 427 and Eglinton Avenue area, around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
Paramedics say the victim was found in the living room. He was pulled from the home without vital signs and was resuscitated on scene. He was taken to a local hospital and then to the Sunnybrook Burn Center to be treated for serious burns and severe smoke inhalation.
Shortly before the fire began, neighbours say they smelled smoke and saw the victim sitting on his front porch.
Officials say the fire started in the basement and spread to the second floor. The suspected cause was wiring in the ceiling of the basement directly below the living room.
The estimated cost of the damage is $100,000.