With Christmas just two days away, you may have a fridge stocked with food — but is it still safe to eat?
Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to food safety, according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
- If your power is out, do not open the fridge or freezer.
- A full freezer can keep food cold for 48 hours. If it’s half full, it’ll be cold half that time — about 24 hours.
- An unopened fridge will keep food cold for four hours.
- Don’t take chances: throw out thawed food that’s been at room temperature for two or more hours.
- Don’t leave the food outside as the sun can thaw frozen food, even if it’s cold.
- If it contains ice crystals or feels as cold as your fridge, it can be re-frozen.
Click here for some more food safety tips.