The Don Bosco Eagles will play their first football game without their famous former coach on Friday afternoon.
Mayor Rob Ford was dismissed in May. The Toronto Catholic District School Board said Ford was let go due to an interview with Sun News.
In the March interview, Ford said the football players would not attend school had it not been for the team, that the players “come from gangs” and that the school is in a rough area.
In announcing the coaching changes, director of education Bruce Rodrigues said in a statement “This decision was based on what is best for our students, our school and the Don Bosco community.”
The statement added: “We recognize and respect that the Mayor’s first commitment is to the priorities of the taxpayers and citizens of the City of Toronto.”
The ousting also came just a few days after allegations surfaced in the Toronto Star and Gawker.com that a video was being shopped around in which a person, who appeared to be the mayor, was doing drugs. The mayor has vehemently denied those allegations. 680News has not seen the alleged video.
The school board did say that the decision to replace Ford was not related to the drug use allegations.
He had been coaching the team since 2011.
The Eagles will take on the Blessed Teresa Titans at Don Bosco at 2 p.m.