TORONTO – Toronto police released video footage Wednesday of a man suspected of breaking into several south Etobicoke homes.
Det.-Const. Tom Ueberholz, of the sex crimes unit, says the suspect has been incredibly bold.
“He’s choosing to break into the homes while people are in there and on top of that, before he leaves — in a lot of cases — he sees to it that the people are aware of the fact that he was there,” he told 680News.
“When people are sleeping, he wakes them up and then he escapes.”
Police believe the man is responsible for a weekend sex assault as well as a series of break-and-enters and sexual assaults last year.
He allegedly entered a number of homes near Berry and Park Lawn roads, between 12:55 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. on Sunday, while residents were sleeping. In all the homes, the doors and windows were unlocked.
In one home, he allegedly sexually assaulted a woman while she was sleeping. In other homes, he allegedly rummaged through their belongings without stealing anything.
Last year, police formed a task force to find a suspect who broke into and robbed at least six homes in the same area. Several women were sexually assaulted during the break-ins, including a 91-year-old.
The suspect is 20-25 years old, five-feet-eight-inches tall, with a thin build. He was last seen wearing dark clothing with a white cloth or T-shirt that covers his face and head but exposes his eyes.
Police are reminding people to keep their windows and doors locked at night.