With Earth Hour on Saturday, here are some safety tips that should be exercised during lights-out.
Toronto Fire Services recommends not using candles but instead use battery-powered flashlights. But if you are using candles, below are some fire safety tips (courtesy of Toronto Fire Services):
- Extinguish all candles when leaving the room and before going to sleep.
- Don’t use candles in bedrooms.
- Keep candles at least one metre away from anything that can burn.
- Keep candles, matches and lighters hidden and out of the reach of children.
- Use sturdy candle holders that won’t tip or burn. Those with glass shades or chimneys are safer.
- Extinguish candles when they burn to within five centimetres (two inches) of their holder.
- Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every storey of your home.
- Practice your home fire escape plan.