A 53-year-old man is facing multiple charges after a crash in Kitchener left a 17-month-old child dead and her mother with critical injuries Saturday evening.
The driver is facing charges that include impaired driving causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.
The incident began when a mother, child and father were in a Volkswagen Jetta that had broken down on Highway 7 in Kitchener.
They were then rear-ended by a cube van around 6:30 p.m.
OPP Sgt. Dave Woodford told 680News the child was airlifted to Hamilton after the crash.
“The child apparently was air transported from Grand River Hospital to McMaster Hospital, and we were informed that the 17-month old child was pronounced dead at hospital,” Woodford said.
The mother, 36, is in critical condition but has been stabilized, while the father, 38, only suffered minor injuries.
Hugh John brake, 53, of Kitchener, is charged with:
1) Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle Causing Death
2) Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle Causing Bodily Harm
3) Impaired Driving Causing Death
4) Over 80mgs Causing Death
5) Impaired Driving Causing Bodily Harm
6) Over 80mgs Causing Bodily Harm
7) Obstruct Justice
8) Possession Schedule ll Cannabis – Marijuana under 30 grams
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is being asked to contact the OPP.