WARSAW, Poland – Polish doctors say a 25-year-old man has undergone a three-hour operation to remove a screwdriver lodged about five centimetres (two inches) into his head.
Dr. Jan Kochanowicz, one of the doctors who treated the man in the Polish city of Bialystok, said the man apparently fell and lost consciousness, but does not remember that.
When he regained consciousness he was at first aware only of pain in a hand before realizing something else was wrong. He walked to his car, looked in a mirror and noticed the screwdriver, penetrating his forehead just above his right eye.
Kochanowicz told the station TVN24 the man smoked a cigarette before calling a neighbour who got him to the hospital.
The screwdriver did not damage the man’s eyes or brain.