TORONTO – The Ontario Power Authority uncovered more documents on the two cancelled gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga, five months after the Liberals insisted all of them had been released.
It’s actually the third batch of documents, and the second time the Liberals have been forced to admit they were wrong when they claimed to have publicly released all the relevant pages ordered by a legislative committee.
New Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli rose in the legislature just before question period to announce more documents had been unearthed about the cancelled gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga.
Premier Kathleen Wynne says she too was notified about the newly-found documents — which could be about 200 pages — and said it’s disappointing she didn’t know about them before.
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath accused the Liberals of deliberately trying to cover up the documents.
“I want to know from this Premier why anybody in Ontario should have any trust whatsoever in any Liberal in this province,” she asked.
Deputy Conservative Leader Christine Elliott called it outrageous.
“You and many other cabinet ministers have repeatedly stood in this House and assured us that we’ve had all of the documents related to this scandal, not once, not twice, but now three times,” she stated.
Last September, the Liberals told the legislature all of the documents had been released with 36,000 pages but another 20,000 pages appeared a month later.
The head of the Ontario Power Authority apologized on Thursday, saying there was no cover-up, merely a mix-up in the search parameters.
He’s apologized to the legislature and the energy minister but said that the OPA is in the business of producing electricity, not documents.