Best Buy will permanently close eight Future Shop and seven Best Buy big box stores today in select cities nationwide.
The cutbacks will cost between 800 and 900 jobs.
Over the next three yeaars, the company plans to open state-of-the-art new Future Shop small-concept web stores and new Best Buy mobile locations across Canada.
The Best Buy stores closing are:
- Langford (Westshore Town Centre)
- South Surrey, British Columbia
- Lachenaie, British Columbia
- Sherbrooke (SmartCentres Sherbrooke), Quebec
The Future Shop stores closing are:
- West Kelowna, British Columbia
- Montreal (Forum Entertainment Center), Quebec
- Laval (First Pro Ste-Dorothee), Quebec
- Winnipeg (Regent), Manitoba
- Calgary (Macleod), Alberta
- Barrie South, Ontario
- Mississauga (Erin Mills), Ontario
Cut throat competition from websites and other big box stores may be to blame.
The two companies are wholly owned by Best Buy America.