TORONTO, Ont. – Coun. Doug Ford is temporarily taking over the reins of Toronto’s budget committee, following the resignation of Mike Del Grande earlier this week.
He’s been appointed vice-chair and by extension, acting chair, until a permanent replacement is named by the executive committee at a future date.
It seems Ford has zero interest in sitting in the chair permanently.
“I said to our team, I said to Rob, I’ll never be a chair, I’ve got a lot of things on the go right now,” he said. “I will always support the team any way I can and I’ll fill in for the time being until we pick a proper chair.”
“All I know is that Mike Del Grande was the best budget chief that we’ve ever had,” he said.
Coun. Paul Ainslie wants the job but he’s not a member of the committee. Most of the people who sit around the table think the budget chief should be someone currently on the committee.
The mayor’s executive committee will have the final say on the appointment.
Del Grande quit as the city’s budget chief after two years in the post after council passed the 2013 budget on Wednesday.