A heads up for motorists travelling along the eastbound Highway 401 in Mississauga, Ont., this weekend.
Road closures will start this weekend on the eastbound Highway 401 between Hurontario Street and the 401/410/403 interchange in Mississauga.
As of Monday, the eastbound express lanes on the 401 will be closed from McLaughlin Road to east of Kennedy Road until the summer of 2013. As a result, all traffic will be shifted to the collector lanes.
The closures are due to pavement replacement, realignment work and line markings.
The Ontario Ministry of Transportation said it will provide safe work zones and traffic management while this work is being undertaken. Also, the Highway 401 westbound lanes and travellers coming across the Hurontario Bridge will not be affected.
In terms of how to navigate around the closures, the MTO has these tips for drivers:
- Plan ahead, listen to traffic reports and consider alternate routes.
- Keep an eye out for (variable message signs) overhead signs on the highway
- Look up the latest road info for provincial highways 24/7 with the Traveller’s Road Information Portal (TRIP), or call the Service Ontario information line toll free at 1-800-268-4686.
- Please be patient and share the road.
- Drivers are reminded that safety is important and speeding fines double in construction zones.